About Triangle MicroWorks
For over 20 years, Triangle MicroWorks (TMW) has been providing solutions for standards-based protocols. Our primary goal at Triangle MicroWorks is to provide innovative and reliable solutions with timely support for our customers. We enjoy building personal relationships with our customers and understanding their needs. Today, Triangle MicroWorks serves hundreds of software and hardware vendors around the world in more than 50 countries.
Triangle MicroWorks has grown over the years to provide a wide array of Communication Protocol solutions including Communication Protocol Software Libraries, PC-based Test and Configuration Tools, OPC drivers, and Protocol Gateways. TMW’s Software Libraries and Tools support industry-standard communication protocols including DNP3, IEC 61850, IEC 60870-5, IEC 60870-6 (TASE.2/ICCP), OPC, and Modbus.
Some highlights in our history include:
- 1994 - Triangle MicroWorks begins work on a DNP3 pilot project with Siemens. At that time, Westronics/GE turns over the DNP3 development/direction to the DNP3 Users Group Technical Committee and it becomes an "open protocol". For TMW, the DNP3 work for Siemens leads to projects using other protocols, including IEC 60870-5 and Modbus.
- 1997 - IEEE 1379 selects DNP3 & IEC 60870-5-101 as the “IEEE Recommended Practice for Data Communications Between Remote Terminal Units and Intelligent Electronic Devices in a Substation”.
- 2000 - Triangle MicroWorks releases the initial version of the SCADA Data Gateway. Many new protocols will be added to the Gateway that Triangle MicroWorks offers in their Source Code Libraries.
- 2001 - IEC 60870-5 is added to the SCADA Data Gateway
- 2003 - Modbus is added to the SCADA Data Gateway
- 2005 - Support for DNP3 Water Industry Telemetry Standards (WITS) is added to the DNP3 Source Code Library
- 2008 - Triangle MicroWorks acquires Tamarack Consulting, Inc., based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This acquisition extends TMW’s product portfolio to support the IEC 61850 protocol standard.
- 2008 - Triangle MicroWorks releases the 61850 Test Suite to support the development and testing of IEC 61850 devices and applications
- 2012 - Secure Authentication Version 5 (SAv5) adds to the DNP3 Source Code Library
- 2012 - IEC 61850 is added to the SCADA Data Gateway
- 2013 - Bi-directional TASE.2 / ICCP is added to the SCADA Data Gateway
- 2013 - Triangle MicroWorks adds support for IEC 61850 Edition 2 to their IEC 61850 Source Code Library
- 2014 - The Iron Tase.2 / ICCP Test Tool is released as a separate product from the 61850 Test Suite with support for IEC 60870-6 based testing
- 2015 - The Distributed Test Manager, a system level testing tool, is officially released
We work hard to advance Communication Protocol Standards by serving on the technical committees and governing bodies of the protocols we support, such as the DNP Users Group
, the IEC Technical Committee 57
Working Group 03 and Working Group 10, UCA International Users Group
, Modbus-IDA, and the OPC Foundation
. This allows us to incorporate the needs of our customers into the protocol standards and provide this new functionality in the next release of our products. We also participate in interoperability testing to help improve the usage and adoption of industry standard protocols that we support.
Jim Coats, President
Triangle MicroWorks, Inc.